I don’t know about you but come Sunday, I am pining for something sweet and loaded with calorie counting sugar. There is nothing I find more comforting than baking a sweet cheat meal to cure my end of weekend blues. One of my favourite cheat meals is my blueberry waffle recipe.
For a breakfast, lunch or dessert affair you can’t go wrong with this recipe.
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups of milk
100 grams butter, melted
1 1/2 cups of plain flour
1/2 cup Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup castor sugar
1. Preheat waffle maker for 10 mins.
2. Sift the flours and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and combine well.
3. Combine egg yolks with milk and whisk until smooth.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the combined egg and milk mixture. Add melted butter and stir, using a wooden spoon, stir until batter is smooth.
5. Place egg whites in a clean, glass bowl, and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the mixture in two batches.
6. When waffle maker is ready, pour 1/3 cup mixture onto the centre of the lower cooking plate. Close the lid and gently press handles together to distribute mixture evenly over the cooking plate.
7. Cook waffles for 3-4 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
8. Repeat, with remaining batter.
Serve, warm or cool, with ice-cream and fruit, if desired.
Cooking time 30 mins